Halstrom is Your One-to-One High School
High school is an important time in every student’s life. Students are focused on earning good grades, making lasting friendships and prepping for college and the future. It’s an exciting time filled with hope and promise.
Halstrom Academy provides a unique schedule that both students and parents love. Halstrom’s scheduled class sessions are only 50 minutes long allowing for a concentrated effort at 1:1 engagement. This also means that each standard semester length course averages about 20 class sessions. They can be taken on campus or online. Most students only attend school 3-4 days a week! That leaves plenty of time for outside activities which helps maintain a healthy school, family, work and social life balance.
Like other high schools, Halstrom Academy is Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) accredited. Each student can choose from numerous AP courses, and more than a hundred UC/CSU certified and NCAA-approved courses in science, English, fine arts, foreign language, math, computer science, personal development, health and social science. All courses at Halstrom Academy are taught by expert teachers who are committed to helping students meet their high school graduation requirements. Halstrom’s high school curriculum is taught using the latest technology, including the use of iPads loaded with eTextbooks and learning apps.
What to expect at Halstrom
- Instruction focused on the student’s skills, interests, needs and rate of progress.
- Students and teachers work together one-to-one to achieve content mastery and personalized goals.
- An education that is aligned with 21st century learning.
- Our commitment to using cutting-edge technology in all aspects of learning.
- Highly qualified instructors always looking out for the student’s best interest.
- A social environment with many opportunities to get involved with classmates.
- Scheduled class sessions are 50 minutes long.
- Each standard semester-length course averages about 20 class sessions which can be on campus or online.
- Between class sessions students have 3-5 hours of independent study and are encouraged to complete their schoolwork on campus in “The Study.”
Proven Success of the Halstrom 1:1 Method
The Halstrom Academy method is based on the research of Dr. Benjamin Bloom from the University of Chicago. Learning occurs at a rate of 98% with one-to-one instruction which means it works for nearly every student and results in retention and ability to apply information learned. Mastery learning requires a minimum of 80% understanding to ensure a solid foundation of knowledge before moving on to the next concept or course.