Halstrom’s 1:1 education model benefits students from diverse backgrounds and experiences. International students pursuing their education in the United States are encouraged to seek the benefits of our non-traditional program and enroll in a full course of study.
Halstrom Academy is a certified school by the Department of Homeland Security and the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). International students pursuing an F-1 visa and admission to Halstrom Academy are encouraged to review the admissions requirements and contact a campus to speak with a school representative.
- When is your international student application due?
Halstrom Academy has rolling admissions and can accept international student applications any time during the academic year.
- Is there an ESL (English as Second Language) program?
Beginning in the Fall of 2015-16, Halstrom will offer English Language Development (ELD) courses for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. ELD courses focus on reading comprehension, speaking skills, and vocabulary.
- What grade levels can international students enroll in?
Halstrom Academy accepts international students in grades 6-12.
- Does Halstrom accept international students mid year or mid semester?
Yes, since Halstrom specializes in 1:1 instruction, international students are able to enroll any time during the school year and begin a full course of study.
- Do international students need a minimum TOEFL score to be admitted?
Students interested in admission to Halstrom Academy must demonstrate strong abilities in written and spoken English. Students must submit TOEFL test scores as a component of the admissions application and must demonstrate competency of the English language by scoring at least 70+ on the TOEFL exam.
Applicants will also be required to speak comfortably in English with a school representative during their 30-minute admissions interview (in person or via webcam).
- Does Halstrom provide boarding or coordinate homestay families?
Halstrom Academy partners with select homestay agencies in order to provide students with safe and secure housing options during their enrollment.
- Is financial aid available for international students?
Financial aid is not available for international students seeking admission to any Halstrom Academy campus. For more information on tuition, fees, and payment requirements please contact 1-888-HALSTROM.
- What do Halstrom campuses look like?
Each Halstrom Academy has its own unique look and feel. While maintaining their individuality, the campuses are very similar in layout and structure. Halstrom Academies look very similar to large learning centers. Each campus has an inviting open space for students to work in groups or independently and two studies (one quiet and another active). Classrooms surround the open space. Since Halstrom specializes in 1:1 education, classrooms are set up a little differently than a traditional classroom you might be used to. They each have no more than 3 individual teacher stations.
- Who should I contact for more information?
For more information regarding Halstrom’s unique educational program and the admissions process for international students, please call 1-888-HALSTROM. If you have specific questions regarding the status of your application, email International@futures.edu.
- What is the process?
- Submit a Halstrom Application for Admission. The Application/i20 processing fee is a non-refundable payment of $400.
- Complete the student questionnaire. Essay questions will be discussed during your admissions interview.
- Submit a signed financial disclosure form.
- Submit three teacher recommendations (minimum 1 from a Math teacher/1 from an English teacher). Recommendations should demonstrate a student’s ability to succeed both academically and socially at Halstrom Academy.
- Submit current immunization records (records must be translated into English).
- Submit a photocopy of the prospective applicant’s passport.
- Submit TOEFL Scores as proof of a prospective applicant's fluency in English.
- Submit official academic records (transcript or school grades/report card).
- Submit a credit card authorization form authorizing payment of the $400 application fee. The application will not be processed until application fees have been paid in full.
After all information has been submitted and reviewed, a Halstrom Academy representative will contact the applicant to schedule an interview. Interviews are conducted either in person or virtually via a webcam within 2 weeks of receiving application materials. All admitted international students are required to attend a new student orientation before beginning classes.
- How long will it take to process an application and issue an I-20?
After an international student submits an application for admission, the application is reviewed by a Campus Director. The Campus Director will contact the prospective student within 2 weeks of receiving the application to schedule an interview. Once a decision has been reached, the Campus Director will notify the student/parent/guardian or agency of the acceptance via email. The email will also include paperwork for enrollment and payment. All international students will be required to submit payment of one full semester. After payment has been received and processed, Halstrom will send I-20 paperwork and admissions documentation by priority mail. Priority mail will generally take 7 business days to arrive.
- What type of students do you admit?
Halstrom Academy enrolls students who have diverse interests, talents, and academic abilities. We seek students who are committed to their growth academically, socially, and personally.
A successful Halstrom student accepts the differences of their peers, exercises their creativity, seeks opportunities to connect with fellow students and teachers, and has a commitment to academic excellence. Halstrom is a caring environment with an individualized approach. We believe that a diverse community is a healthy community.
- What is our Halstrom refund policy?
Both the Halstrom Academy international student application fee and the i20 processing fee are both non refundable. If a student is denied a visa for any reason, Halstrom will refund all tuition with the exception of enrollment fees. Once a student has enrolled and has begun classes at Halstrom, all tuition is non-refundable. Further information regarding withdrawals can be discussed with a Halstrom school representative.